In view of Karnataka Legislative Assembly Elections of 2018, The Chief Electoral Office envisioned the need, to create a GIS map of all the polling stations (booths) and their respective geographic boundaries for the state. Towards this endeavor, Joint CEO approached KSRSAC to map all the Polling Stations and their electoral boundaries, along with various attribute information of polling stations.They include infrastructure facilities for citizens, location information, area information, voters information, candidate information and more.
Data Collection Methodology
- Collection of Polling station list from EC.
- Identification of polling stations from satellite images along with department officials. The available satellite data (CartoSAT) with KSRSAC used for mapping activities.
- All the polling stations mapped as a points on layer at the GIS environment.
- Each polling station point assigned the constituency code and polling station number
- For each polling station, the boundary associated with the same was identified manually. The support of field officers of the respective town/constituency was taken by the representatives of KSRSAC.
- The identified boundary was plotted on the GIS environment as a polygon feature.
- Each polling station boundary polygon was attached to the constituency code and polling station number
In order to record, map, manage, monitor and analyze the Election information a web-enabled geographic information system (GIS) was implemented. The GIS is implemented on a secure server at KSDC, the map service is hosted on a GIS Server and the MIS data was loaded onto a SQL database. The web-based GIS application uses a server/client model.